Friday, March 27, 2009

Things I Still Need to See or Do in the Caribbean

I have vacationed in the Caribbean many times but I still have several things that I need to do and see. Staying at an all inclusive resort should not be a reason to avoid checking out the local culture.

1. Reggae Sumfest-This is the ultimate reggae gathering in the Caribbean. While I have attended some smaller Red Stripe "sessions" and have seen some cool artists, this is the gathering that is a must do. I recommend going with a local Jamaican. It is just much easier to get around and KNOW where you can be or shouldn't be and at what time. The reason I say this is that sometimes in the past, Dancehall night became a little "crazy" late into the evening. Regardless, I need to make it there once.

2. I want to check out Carnival in Trinidad. Trinidad is not an all inclusive vacation destination but I can live with that. Tobago is the real resort island in this area and might be where I would stay. Since I don't know much about the area, I am open to suggestions. I just know that this is something that I need to do. I love Soca music so I would hope to catch a good year.

3. I want to go hiking in Dominica and check out the Morne Trois Pitons National Park. Dominica is a smaller island located between Martinique and Guadeloupe. This isn't an all inclusive destination either, but hey, I have been to all inclusive resorts almost 100 times. I still recommend an all inclusive vacation as a stress-free way to vacation but now I am talking about some off-the-beaten-path places. Dominica is supposed to be beautiful. Let me know if you have been there!

4. Cliff dive at Rick's Cafe in Negril, Jamaica. I have been there many times but have never had the nerve to dive or jump. If you stay at any all inclusive on the beach in Negril, it is an easy jaunt by taxi to get there. Call it a mid-life crisis or just plain "crazy" but sometimes you just need to do something out of the ordinary. Hopefully, I won't break an ankle.

5. Since I am learning the drums, I need to play with the house band at a future resort stay. A number of all inclusive resorts have "guest talent night" and I never really thought about participating. Now that I know a few "grooves", it is only a matter of time before I get my time in the spotlight :) As long as I don't suck at it, things will be fine. Guess I need to work on my "Reggae Riddims".

This is just a short list of things I want to see or do. I am sure that you have your own list. Let me know if there is something out there that is a MUST.

Later,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment