Thursday, March 19, 2009

My Favorite Places to visit in the Caribbean

Having traveled to the Caribbean and Mexico almost 100 times, I am often asked "Where is your favorite destination?". I don't have an easy answer since there are tons of interesting places to visit. Here is my take on the best destinations and why. Keep in mind that individual tastes enter into finding the best place for you.

Mayan Riviera-This is the hottest destination in the entire Caribbean. Located just south of Cancun, this area is home to a plethora of brand new all inclusive resorts. An all inclusive vacation is very affordable here, but you can also upgrade to one of the premium level resorts that offer more luxurious amenities. What I like about the area is the outstanding service, the friendly staff, and how easy it is to get around the area. The main highway from Cancun to the Riviera is very modern and transportation is very easy to find. Playa Del Carmen is the heart of the Mayan Riviera and is home to great nightlife and local craft shops. If you are looking for a nightspot to visit in this area, most tourists end up at the Blue Parrot. Locals frequent the next door Coco Maya where the music is great and the prices seem better. The Mayan Riviera is also home to world famous Mayan Ruins. In addition, there is a number of local attractions such as Xcaret Park and Xel Ha. These parks combine ecological excursions with shows dedicated to Mayan culture. The all inclusive Occidental Grand Xcaret provides complimentary admission to Xcaret Park. Otherwise, the last time I checked, the rate is $65/person for a day pass. Travelers from the west coast have an easy hop to this area and it is relatively painless for most of the US. This area has it all. And you don't even need to speak Spanish, although it would help :)

Jamaica-Ahh! Jamaica! My second home in the Caribbean. I don't get here as often as I used to or would like. My travel is sometimes dictated by the business. If you love Reggae music, spicy food, loving people and great year-round weather; this is the place. I have always said Jamaica is the epicenter of Caribbean music and culture. I know that some people will take offense, but I mean no disrespect to other islands in the region. From the great Bob Marley to Peter Tosh and Jimmy Cliff. From Beenie Man, Buju Banton and Shaggy. Jamaican music continually evolves. Jamaican music transcends cultures and blends with various genres. You might hear classic Lover's rock, Roots Reggae or some Dancehall. Music and religion drives the mood in Jamaica. There are more churches per square mile here than any country in the world. At least that is what the word on the street is. I think this is why the people can be so cool and relaxed. Negril is famous for beaches and pristine waters while Ocho Rios is more mountainous. Montego Bay is the entry point for most guests and has its owns beauty. The South Coast is virtually unspoiled and the countryside is where you find the real Jamaican people. What I like most about this place is the people. I have made great friends here and I still keep in touch, even when I can't make it there for months. All inclusive vacations are the norm here, although I have stayed in some guesthouses and small privately owned hotels. You can find great food here, but I think the best experience is going out to try the local food. Flavors abound in Jamaican cooking. And the best place to find it is somewhere that caters to residents. Hire a professional driver and go local!

St Lucia-Saint Lucia is known for its amazing scenery and I have to agree. I have never been to Hawaii, but people tell me this is "Hawaii of the Caribbean". St Lucia is a very lush, tropical island with cappuccino-colored sandy beaches. The locals here are warm and inviting. While there is a number of all inclusive hotels here, the selection of European Plan hotels is abundant. The island is of French and English background, since both France and England fought over control. You might hear the locals speaking a creole or patios. I think it adds to the charm of the island. The Pitons is the most amazing sight on Saint Lucia. And a catamaran cruise to the Pitons is a must. These volcanic formations create the idyllic setting for a Caribbean destination wedding. My favorite part of Saint Lucia is the scenery. Snorkeling just below the Pitons was awesome. Local food here is also quite flavorful. I like this island as an alternative destination for those that are looking for something new. Most people have been to the Bahamas, Jamaica or Mexico. It is also perfect for a romantic honeymoon or anniversary getaway.

Well, there it is. My three favorite places in the Caribbean.

No comments:

Post a Comment