Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Bacon and Reggae!

Mmmmmm! Bacon. As I was cooking up a little bacon tonight, I thought "Man, I have never had a bad piece of bacon. It is always GOOOOD!". This led me to think about Reggae music. I have no idea why, but that is what transpired. Come to think of it, I have never heard a bad reggae song. Pretty unreal, but if you think about it, reggae is a universally cool sound. When you visit Jamaica you will pretty much understand what I am talking about.

For years, we used to frequent the same resort in Montego Bay, or Mobay, as the locals say. There was a band that we got to know very well. They went by the moniker "The Elements". It was cool, Irie vibes! I used to walk down to the showroom just to listen to the drummer sing. They would mix in some guest singers or "star talent" on most nights and everyone seemed to enjoy the groove. I would have to say that all inclusive entertainment can still be good in Jamaica. Last I checked, they were playing at the Sunset Beach Resort in Montego Bay.

Having been a mobile DJ for years, I have always enjoyed a good reggae song. A Jamaican group could take even the most mundane song, add a good beat, and mix the lyrics to make it real. When you visit Jamaica on an all inclusive vacation, you will hear all of the classics. You might even hear a Calypsonian sing the "Big Bamboo" :) in a reggae version. Whatever your tastes, reggae becomes infectious. The great Bob Marley once went on stage to bring together the opposition parties in Jamaica. And by all reports, Jamaica was much better for his efforts. Reggae is like bacon, it is always good!

I encourage you to visit Jamaica and take a listen to the rhythms of the island. Reggae is a universally accepted genre and can transcend cultures. Next time you visit my second home, please give a "Big Up" to the band at your respective all inclusive resort.
Walk good,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment