Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Wish I Could Start My Own Airline


You know something? I probably shouldn't even talk about the subject since I am in the travel business to make a living, but you already know what I am about to say. Airlines suck. If you work for an airline, please give me the benefit of the doubt before you take it personal. Here's why I say this.

Airlines used to be FUN! I can remember when I couldn't wait to get on the plane. Flying was a privilege and it was thrilling. Being in the air. Going somewhere you hadn't ever seen. Leaving the familiar surroundings of your hometown to see something exotic, mysterious and foreign. And the airlines were glad to have you :) I can remember when you always got a meal, a choice of drinks and a smiling face to take care of you. I am not saying that the employees have changed much. It's the attitude of the airline industry. It must be hard to work for an employer that doesn't reward you for a great effort and has continually taken from its employees. All while the upper management continues to make great money. Now I don't know everything, but I do know how to treat customers.

Think about what has transpired in the last number of years. Planes are older, less clean and more cramped. You already know this since most of you have flown in the last couples of years. This has been going on for awhile and is not a recent phenomenon. Here is what got me fired up. It seems as if every thought coming out of the airline executive brainstorming is how to milk a few more dollars out of the traveler. I used to joke about having to pay to use the lavatory. This is not a joke any more. RyanAir may be the first one to institute pay for use bathrooms. I know they joked about it and then said it could actually happen. Can you imagine an emergency situation and you can't find a dollar? Or a "pound" if you are traveling in England? What are you supposed to do? Ask another flier? "Hey, I really gotta go! Can you spare some change?". This stuff could get really ridiculous.

I just read that Delta is adding a $50 fee for a second checked bag for International travel. Hmmmm? The other airlines say they are "studying" Delta's new fee. Duh! How many times have they repeated this ploy? Since you no longer get a meal in coach and most times in FIRST CLASS, the airlines devised the "food for purchase" program. That is a real winner. Did you like having a blanket or a pillow to make your ride more comfortable? Think again. Maybe like to read a complimentary magazine? Hell no. Flying first class on a short flight and looking for a little VIP treatment? Nope again. Unless you like to drink a cocktail at 6:30am on your flight to Atlanta. You get my drift. All of the fun has been sapped from the flying experience. Want to change your flight? That'll be $150 bucks. Mispelled your name on the reservation? "We can't change that. And the ticket is non-refundable. You will have to purchase another one". Flying last minute? That will cost you. To the tune of $1500! I know, I know. The airlines are gonna put WIFI on the planes. I do like this idea. It will occupy my brain for the cramped ride to paradise. Oh, I guess you knew? You will be paying for it.

Well, I guess I could go on and on about how un customer-friendly the airlines are. We all know that. I will continue to fly because I can't swim that far :) If I had my own airline, things would be different. Here is what I would do.

1. I would start by treating my employees with respect and I would make sure they were happy with their work.

2. I would treat my customers like I would want to be treated. I bet these CEOs of airlines wouldn't want to fly in the middle seat in coach on one of their own planes. Especially, if they are TALL. And I bet they would really hate it if they had to use the lavatory and only had $100 bills. Who would make change for them?

3. I would look at the inside of the planes and give them a makeover. How about a comfortable seat? Maybe you could have seats of different sizes that actually fit your customer? Got a kid traveling? Put them in a kid's seat! Got a traveler who is on the plus size? Give them a bigger seat. Damn! these are novel ideas. Treat your customers like you would want to be treated. Got a basketball team traveling on your flight? Give them a seat with some leg room. You might have happier travelers who would want to come back. Why do airlines think that everyone is the same size?

4. We would put the fun back in airline travel. Play some games. Make some jokes. Have some audience participation. Granted we would have to take into account the time of day since I am allergic to mornings. Give out some prizes for best dressed traveler, loudest snorer, cutest honeymoon couple. Treat people like humans and not a herd of cattle.

5. Give you some entertainment. I know one airline pulled their video equipment out of planes to save on weight and gas. This is brilliant. The one thing that you had to occupy your customers and you remove it to save a few bucks. On my planes, we would have Reggae music to the Caribbean. We would play cool island videos that get everyone in the mood for their arrival. Hey! Another novel idea for the airlines. Let the guests start their VACATIONS on the airline! Isn't this the point? Currently, you book a getaway and then you have to suffer through four hours of hell that is known as a flight before you can finally feel like you are ON vacation. I kinda got this idea of fun from Air Jamaica. They used to give you full meal service and Red Stripe for free. I don't think they still do, but I definitely would :)

6. I would stop nickel and diming everyone. Just tell me what I need to pay up front. If I can't afford it then I won't go. No one on my airline would need to carry change in order to get into the lavatory. Hey, we might even put some perfumes and colognes in there. Maybe some mints. Oh and my bathrooms would be big enough so you could actually fit in them. Want to check a bag? No problem. It's included. Want to carry one on? No charge either.

7. Free magazines and newspapers would be on my planes. At least as long as they continue to make them. I guess WIFI is a necessity so we would have it too. Hey, we could even set up a Twitter hash tag for the flight and everyone could Tweet back and forth. This would eliminate having to talk to the person next to you :) I am not serious about that one. I think talking to people is a forgotten art. We should do it more.

8. We would make it affordable. I would find people with great business sense that know how to make money. We would treat people right and reward our loyal customers. And YES, we would give you a frequent flier program that wouldn't change with the wind. I bet all you Platinum and Elite travelers hear music to your ears.

I guess this is enough. It doesn't take much to see how an airline could be much improved. I really do like most of the employees at the airlines. It's just the industry that sucks :)

Til Next Time,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment