Monday, April 13, 2009

Great Places to Learn How to Drive on the Left



Have you ever wanted to tour an island or country and then found out that they drove on the left hand side of the road? Never been through a roundabout? I always wanted to drive in Jamaica but it seemed a little crazy and driving on the left-hand side of the road looked to be more of a challenged than I wanted to take on. Since there is a ton of goats, cows, people and other obstacles such as major potholes or road work on Jamaica roads, I always passed up the opportunity. It is easy to stay in the resort while on an all inclusive vacation, but I always make sure to go out and see the locals. Here is my suggestion for those wanting to adventure out and drive on the "wrong" side of the road:

Find a smaller island with little or no traffic and do some practice there! My first attempt at the left hand driving and making it through the roundabout was on Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. There were only two main roads the last time I was there and it made for easy learning. I just cruised up and down in my rented 4x4. I even picked up a truckload of school kids one day and drove them to the IGA supermarket. They were hanging off all sides of the Jeep and made for an interesting event. All kids arrived safely and were quite thankful. My next "step up" with left hand driving was in Antigua. Here the traffic is a little more prevalent. The countryside was beautiful and I could even manage the downtown areas.

As you can see, I started small and began working my way up. Jamaica was my next challenge. Driving here is only for the brave. I managed to drive on all of the main roads and when I pulled up to all of my cab driving buddies, they fell on the ground laughing. I guess they figured I was a terrible driver. My wife thought I was going to hit several people walking on the side of the road or a few goats. You see, in Jamaica there are no lines and very few signs.

I have progressed very nicely and have driven a couple of thousand miles in England over the last 3 years. I recommend baby steps when driving on the left. Make certain to rent an automatic. Shifting gears with the opposite hands takes a lot of getting used to. Take a visit to one of the small islands in the Caribbean that I have mentioned and make sure you rent a car with air conditioning :)

You next all inclusive vacation will seem so much better if you get out and see the country!

Til Next Time,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment